Our Christian Mingle Review Bottom Line:
- GOOD: Security, personal control, mobile options
- BAD: Almost too many options
- TAKEAWAY: eHarmony is still our favorite, but Christian Mingle is a contender because of the large number of members.
We’re committed to being a comprehensive resource for finding the best Christian dating sites, but sometimes we have a difficult time finding the words to describe our feelings about a particular dating website. That’s kinda how we felt writing our Christian Mingle review. The truth is: We don’t love it, and we don’t hate it. It’s just…okay. It doesn’t trump eHarmony, in our opinion. (Read our eHarmony review here or our most popular article: How to Get an eHarmony Free Trial.)
When we ranked Christian Mingle on our dating chart, we had to give it 4 stars because when we looked at the data and how it compares in important categories next to other sites, well, it stacks up rather nicely. But that’s clinical data. We can’t factor our emotions into clinical data. And it’s our feelings about Christian Mingle that leave us a little underwhelmed.
Maybe it’s the prayer wall, the chat room, and the Bible studies that creep us out a bit. Something feels
desperate wrong about combining strangers, dating, chat rooms, and Jesus all in one.
Bottom line, when compared with other sites, Christian Mingle has a lot of what online dating customers are looking for, so we can’t rate it low just because we don’t have warm, fuzzy feelings towards it. Here are the pros and cons of Christian Mingle, in our opinion:
Christian Mingle Review :: Pros
- When we reviewed eHarmony, one of the issues we had was the inability to take charge of your own matches. What eHarmony lacks in control, Christian Mingle certainly allows for. You are able to conduct searches for everything from denominational preference to members who have birthdays this week. (You know, in case you want to do a little internet flirting, like sending them a “smile.”) Christian Mingle recommends matches to you each day, but they also give you access to their entire database so you can make your own choices.
- Christian Mingle is one of the more reasonable sites when it comes to pricing. A six-month membership can run you around $15/month, while a one-month membership will put you back $35. That’s the price of one nice dinner out on the town if you don’t enjoy your one-month membership. Not bad, if you’re not strapped for cash. It’s a cheaper option than one month on Match or eHarmony.
- Christian Mingle is heavily touting their growing number of subscribers, and for a metropolitan area like Dallas/Fort Worth, we think they have a solid number of selections available—even when we change our search options multiple times to test it out. Most searches result in hundreds, if not thousands, of profiles. We’re not thinking they’re going to run out of dating options for us anytime soon.
- You can search profiles based on how recently the subscriber visited the site or updated his/her page. This is an excellent option since one of our biggest complaints about eHarmony is our inability to weed out old profiles for inactive members.
Christian Mingle Review :: Cons
- Did we mention the whole prayer wall and chat room thing? One glance at the list of prayer requests on the prayer wall left us wondering if we needed to tell our accountability partners before we clicked any further. It’s sketchy, and it doesn’t help us to love the site. Then again, maybe we’re just too cynical and other people may love it. It’s your call.
- All of the bells and whistles leave the user with a million different ways to communicate with matches, but it also had us wishing for one centralized method like eHarmony. You can smile, email, IM, leave messages on the boards, participate in Bible study, answer daily questions, see who’s online, and the list goes on. Isn’t it odd that Christian Mingle gives subscribers all the control they want, yet we wish for less? We’re demanding and maybe a bit old-fashioned. Is it too much to ask for an email focus with maybe 1 or 2 other communication options?
- We’ve also heard a lot of complaints about their auto-renewal system when your contract is up. If you don’t cancel your subscription before the deadline, it will auto-renew and there’s no refunding that amount. We understand those complaints, for sure, but we think it’s important to note that’s not just a Christian Mingle issue. Most of the online dating sites do the same thing, so in all fairness, we wanted to point it out.
- Christian Mingle is owned by Spark Networks, a corporation with many other online dating sites including non-Christian ones. Like we mentioned on our Best Christian Dating Sites article, we’re not reviewing sites that are exclusively owned by Christian companies; we’re just reviewing the sites that many Christians use to find like-minded believers. That being said, sometimes it feels as if Spark Networks created a site for the online Christian dating stereotype. Take guys + girls + Bible study options + prayer requests, add some chat features and a dash of sending smiles to each other, top it off with an ichthus logo, and voila! A Christian dating site.
Despite our emotional disconnect, we still admit when compared to other online dating sites, Christian Mingle definitely ranks well. Who needs to be emotionally tied to an online dating site anyway? It’s just the vehicle to help you find the person you want to be all emotional about. And, truth be told, Christian Mingle could be a very viable vehicle to get you to him or her. (Check out Chris and Arica’s story about meeting on Christian Mingle.)
Special Link: Register & Browse for Free at ChristianMingle.com
Have you used Christian Mingle? What are your thoughts? How does it compare to other dating sites? Share them with us in the comment section!
Note: SingleRoots is not affiliated with Christian Mingle. This is a review of their website. We will exercise our right to moderate the comments if they are vulgar, disrespectful, or trolling. Keep it classy, kids.
Current Online Dating Coupons & Offers:eHarmony (USA Offers):
- 5-Day FREE TRIAL :: Sept 3rd - Sept 7th :: Follow this link
- Get 60% Off a 6-Month Membership at eHarmony.com with code EHCODE
- Get 72% Off a 12-Month Membership at eHarmony.com with code EHCOUPON
- Expiring Soon: Get 73% Off a 12-Month eHarmony Subscription (plus the option to pay in 3 installments) with code EHCODE12
- Get 60% Off a 6-Month Membership at eHarmony.ca with code EHCODECA
- Save 72% off a 12 month subscription to eHarmony.ca with code: EHCOUPONCA
- Aug. 1st - Aug. 31st :: 12-month Membership for $12.95/month to eHarmony.ca with code: BIGSALE