Our Christian Cafe Review Bottom Line:
- GOOD: Filters, Quick Matches, mobile options
- BAD: Too many bells and whistles
- TAKEAWAY: It’s a solid Christian dating site but, in our opinion, eHarmony still trumps it.
Of the six sites we’ve reviewed in our Best Christian Dating Sites post, only three are exclusively Christian (in ownership and target audience): Marry Well, Christian Crush, and Christian Cafe. We really hoped we could write a Christian Cafe review and wholeheartedly endorse it over many of the other dating sites, especially since we weren’t able to do the same in our Marry Well review, but we just couldn’t quite go there.
But before we get ahead of ourselves, here are some of the reasons we like Christian Cafe:
Christian Cafe Review :: Pros
- You can filter your searches. When it comes to Christian filters, Christian Cafe allows you to search based on Christian faith (with selections such as, “It defines who I am,” “Still trying to figure it out,” and “I believe in God), denominational preferences, and church involvement (don’t attend, attend occasionally, deacon, work with the youth, pastor/elder, mission trips, etc.). You are also able to narrow down profiles that have been inactive, which is more than we can say for some sites. All of these things allow you to find profiles of people who share similar spiritual convictions as yourself.
- If you don’t feel like creating your own search, Christian Cafe also offers Quick Matches. Based upon your profile answers, they match you with other members who fit your criteria for a good match. They also allow you to search for males or females within your region. We like the control that you’re given in a search, but we also like that you don’t have to do all of the work if you don’t want to.
- A few other things Christian Cafe does well: You are able to block members from contacting you if you so choose, and they offer mobile apps for both Android and iPhone. Both of these things are important factors when choosing an online dating site.
- Christian Cafe recently went through a site re-design and branding update. It was well overdue and it definitely helps the overall user experience. Still, it still lags behind the aesthetic of other online dating sites, and there are times–like when you try to conduct a detailed search–that it reverts back to the Old Christian Cafe site, so it still has room for improvement.
Christian Cafe Review :: Cons
- We think that Christian Cafe is on the right track with the way it gives members control, but it just seems to go overboard, which we feel contributes to a bulky and outdated aesthetic. For instance, do we really need to have eye color or fashion sense as a search option? (Are you really going to turn him/her down if they don’t have eyes as blue as the sea? Or if he wears jorts? Wait…) Or—and we’ve discussed this before on our Christian Mingle review—is it really necessary for an online dating site to have a prayer forum? (Who is really on that site for sincere prayer? Please.) What about the ability to search for any/all members by their birthday? Are you really on an online dating site to offer birthday greetings to strangers? (Isn’t that what Facebook is for–sending birthday wishes to people you never would’ve acknowledged previously?) It just makes the overall feel slightly more…desperate? Christian Crush definitely has a better balance to asking good questions for finding like-minded Christians.
- The biggest reason we can’t give it the wholehearted “yes and amen,” though, is because of numbers. Granted, Christian Cafe certainly has more members than Marry Well, but the site is nowhere near the Big Three–eHarmony, Match.com, Christian Mingle. For example: a search for 26-45 year old males whose “faith defines who they are” and “have been online in the last month” within 500 miles of our DFW area zip code resulted in under 75 profiles. Additionally, a search for 26-45 year old females with the same description and same zip code distance resulted in just under 100 profiles. Considering this is a major US city and 500 miles incorporates Oklahoma City, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and everywhere in between, the number of profiles just can’t compare to the big sites.
It is important to note that Christian Cafe has an alliance with Focus on the Family and they supplement membership with blog posts and dating/relationship advice. Focus on the Family is also the mind behind Marry Well.
Christian Cafe Review :: How It Compares to Other Sites
Christian Cafe may be smaller, but it’s one of the largest Christian-owned sites. So how does Christian Cafe compare to the Big Three online dating sites–eHarmony, Match.com, and Christian Mingle?
Christian Cafe vs. eHarmony
- eHarmony’s user base is decidedly larger.
- Christian Cafe is targeted solely towards Christians.
- Read more: Best for Christian Singles? :: Christian Cafe vs eHarmony
Christian Cafe vs. Match.com
- It’s difficult to drill down to find like-minded Christians on Match.
- Christian Cafe has a significantly smaller user base than Match.
- Read more: Best for Christian Singles? :: Christian Cafe vs Match.com
Christian Mingle vs. Christian Cafe
- Christian Cafe is Christian-owned.
- Christian Mingle has more members.
- Read more: Best for Christian Singles? :: Christian Mingle vs Christian Cafe
Christian Cafe Review :: One Christian Single’s Experience
Denise, a 25-year old from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, participated in our Online Dating Experiment trying out Christian Cafe for 3 months. Read about her experience: Month 1, Month 2, Month 3. Denise’s experience is similar to others we’ve heard from, too.
Christian Cafe Review :: Our Recommendation
All in all, we don’t dislike Christian Cafe. We think the site has a lot of great qualities and is a good value when it comes to online Christian dating. Certainly, when it comes to exclusively Christian sites, Christian Cafe is your best option.
Christian Cafe Deals & Discounts
You can get a 10-day FREE trial by following this link, so what do you have to lose?
Have you tried Christian Cafe? What are your thoughts about the site?
- - Christian-owned company
- - Includes denomination filters
- - Control your own searches
- - Lower number of members than other sites
- - Site could be easier to navigate
- - Mobile app needs updating
Current Online Dating Deals:
Last updated: 6/20/2017
eHarmony (USA Offers):
- Special Promo Link & Code: Get 30% Off a 6-Month Membership at eHarmony.com with code SINGLEROOTS60
- Special Promo Link & Code: Get 15% Off a 12-Month Membership at eHarmony.com with code SINGLEROOTS72
eHarmony (Canada Offers):
- Get 30% Off a 6-Month Membership at eHarmony.ca with code EHCODECA
- Save 15% off a 12 month subscription to eHarmony.ca with code: EHCOUPONCA
Match.com (USA Offers):
- 74% OFF Match.com Subscription ~ Limited Time Link!
20% OffNow, 25% Off Discount Link
- 3 Day FREE Trial Link
Match.com (UK Offers):
- NEW! 25% off link for 3 & 6 month Subscriptions at ChristianMingle.com - Click Link & Save Now!
- Review Your Matches for FREE at Christian Mingle!
Best Christian Dating Sites Rankings
|Monthly Price Range||Number of Members||Ease of Use||Christian Filters||Best Deal Link|
|$19.95 to $59.95|
Tip: How to Get an eHarmony Free Trial
|High||Simple||Excellent||30% Off 6-Month Membership! Use this link with this code at checkout: SINGLEROOTS60|
|$16.99 to $36.99||High||Quite a Few Details||Fair||25% off discount link for Match.com|
|$16.99 to $32.99||High||Option-Overload||Good||25% Off Link! |
For 3 & 6 Month Subscriptions at ChristianMingle.com. Click & Save Now!
|$8.99 to $34.97||Medium||Option-Overload||Excellent||10-Day Free Trial|
|$12.99||Low||Simple||Excellent||2-Week Free Trial|