Our Christian Cafe Review Bottom Line:
- GOOD: Filters, Quick Matches, mobile options
- BAD: Too many bells and whistles
- TAKEAWAY: It’s a solid Christian dating site but, in our opinion, eHarmony still trumps it.
Of the six sites we’ve reviewed in our Best Christian Dating Sites post, only three are exclusively Christian (in ownership and target audience): Marry Well, Christian Crush, and Christian Cafe. We really hoped we could write a Christian Cafe review and wholeheartedly endorse it over many of the other dating sites, especially since we weren’t able to do the same in our Marry Well review, but we just couldn’t quite go there.
But before we get ahead of ourselves, here are some of the reasons we like Christian Cafe:
Christian Cafe Review :: Pros
- You can filter your searches. When it comes to Christian filters, Christian Cafe allows you to search based on Christian faith (with selections such as, “It defines who I am,” “Still trying to figure it out,” and “I believe in God), denominational preferences, and church involvement (don’t attend, attend occasionally, deacon, work with the youth, pastor/elder, mission trips, etc.). You are also able to narrow down profiles that have been inactive, which is more than we can say for some sites. All of these things allow you to find profiles of people who share similar spiritual convictions as yourself.
- If you don’t feel like creating your own search, Christian Cafe also offers Quick Matches. Based upon your profile answers, they match you with other members who fit your criteria for a good match. They also allow you to search for males or females within your region. We like the control that you’re given in a search, but we also like that you don’t have to do all of the work if you don’t want to.
- A few other things Christian Cafe does well: You are able to block members from contacting you if you so choose, and they offer mobile apps for both Android and iPhone. Both of these things are important factors when choosing an online dating site.
Christian Cafe Review :: Cons
- We think that Christian Cafe is on the right track with the way it gives members control, but it just seems to go overboard, which we feel contributes to a bulky and outdated aesthetic. For instance, do we really need to have eye color or fashion sense as a search option? (Are you really going to turn him/her down if they don’t have eyes as blue as the sea? Or if he wears jorts? Wait…) Or—and we’ve discussed this before on our Christian Mingle review—is it really necessary for an online dating site to have a prayer forum? (Who is really on that site for sincere prayer? Please.) What about the ability to wish any/all members a “happy birthday”? (Isn’t that what Facebook is for–sending birthday wishes to people you never would’ve acknowledged previously?) It just makes the overall feel slightly more…desperate? Christian Crush definitely has a better balance to asking good questions for finding like-minded Christians.
- The biggest reason we can’t give it the wholehearted “yes and amen,” though, is because of numbers. Granted, Christian Cafe certainly has more members than Marry Well, but the site is nowhere near the Big Three–eHarmony, Match.com, Christian Mingle. For example: a search for 26-30 year old males whose “faith defines who they are” and “have been online in the last week” within 100 miles of our DFW area zip code resulted in under 300 profiles. Additionally, a search for 26-30 year old females with the same description and same zip code distance resulted in just over 200 profiles. Considering this is a major US city, the number of profiles just can’t compare to the big sites.
It is important to note that Christian Cafe has an alliance with Focus on the Family and they supplement membership with blog posts and dating/relationship advice. Focus on the Family is also the mind behind Marry Well.
Denise, a 25-year old from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, participated in our Online Dating Experiment trying out Christian Cafe for 3 months. Read about her experience: Month 1, Month 2, Month 3. Denise’s experience is similar to others we’ve heard from, too.
All in all, we don’t dislike Christian Cafe. We think the site has a lot of great qualities and is a good value when it comes to online Christian dating. Certainly, when it comes to exclusively Christian sites, Christian Cafe is your best option.
You can get a 10-day FREE trial by following this link, so what do you have to lose?
Have you tried Christian Cafe? What are your thoughts about the site?
Current Online Dating Coupons & Offers:
eHarmony (USA Offers):
- Get 60% Off a 6-Month Membership at eHarmony.com with code EHCODE
- Get 72% Off a 12-Month Membership at eHarmony.com with code EHCOUPON
- Expiring Soon: Get 73% Off a 12-Month eHarmony Subscription (plus the option to pay in 3 installments) with code EHCODE12
eHarmony (Canada Offers):
- Get 60% Off a 6-Month Membership at eHarmony.ca with code EHCODECA
- Save 72% off a 12 month subscription to eHarmony.ca with code: EHCOUPONCA
eHarmony (UK Offers):
Match.com (USA Offers):
Match.com (UK Offers):
Last updated: 7/20/2016
Related: Top Dating Site Reviews