For seven years now, Match.com has conducted a State of Singleness in America study. In February, 2017, they released their newest findings from a survey that included information gathered from over 5,500 singles. They interviewed singles of all ages, ethnicities, income levels, etc.
Obviously, since Match is not a dating site specifically for Christians, the findings can be quite…interesting. From a Christian perspective, some are really sad. Others, though, are intriguing and there are a few that are downright humorous. Regardless of one’s emotional response to the data, there’s much to be learned about American single adults. No really, there is. The results are kinda fascinating.
Don’t believe us? Check these nuggets out:
- Only 12% of single men want to date casually.
- Men are 73% more likely than women to believe that sex helps them realize whether or not they love someone.
- 71% of men find it intriguing when a woman offers to split the bill.
- Millennial women are 86% more likely to have experienced unwanted physical contact if they went on a date that year.
- Millennials are 48% more likely to have had sex before their first date.
- Millennials are 40% more likely to believe that they’ll have better sex if they have a strong emotional connection with their partner.
- Millennials are 177% more likely to feel an overwhelming pressure to get married.
- 57% of singles admit that social media has triggered their FOMO (Fear of missing out).
- Millennials are 270% more likely to think it’s hot if you’re binge-watching the same TV shows.
- Not being on social media at all is a turn-on to 26% of singles.
Technology on a Date
- 75% of singles find answering your phone on a first date to be a big turn-off.
- 66% don’t want you texting someone on a date.
- 58% don’t want to see your phone face up on the table on a date.
- In fact, keeping your phone turned off and put away completely is a turn-on to 45% of singles.
- Overall, men are 3x more likely to use a one-night stand as a way to start a relationship.
- Millennials are 48% more likely to sleep with someone right away to see if there’s a connection.
- The top 5 cities where singles claim to have been in love the most times are San Jose, Austin, Portland, Philadelphia, San Diego.
- Most hated dating clichés: “You’ve got to put yourself out there,” “Don’t be so picky,” and “It will happen when you least expect it.”
- 65% of singles don’t find dating advice useful.
And these might be our favorites:
- Android users are 15x more likely to judge someone negatively for having an iPhone.
- iPhone users are 21x more likely to judge Android users negatively.
- Gen Xers and Boomers are more likely than Millennials to judge a date negatively if their phone has a cracked screen and they’re 86% more likely to negatively judge a man for having a cracked screen over a woman.
To read more about Match.com’s 2017 Singles in America results, click here. Also, check out our review of Match.com to learn more about how the online dating site stacks up against other online dating sites, especially from a Christian perspective.
Current Online Dating Deals:
Last Updated: 11/28/2023
eharmony (USA Offers):
- Special Promo Link & Code: Get 25% Off Any Length Membership at eharmony! Use this link & code at checkout: SINGLEROOTS25
eharmony (Canada Offers):
- EXCLUSIVE Promo: Get a
10-day17-Day ChristianCafe.com FREE trial! Use this LINK to get offer :: Use Promo Code: SingleRoots17
Best Christian Dating Sites Rankings
|Monthly Price Range||Number of Members||Ease of Use||Christian Filters||Best Deal Link|
|$19.95 to $59.95|
Tip: How to Get an eharmony Free Trial
|High||Simple||Excellent||25% Off Any Membership! Use this link with this code at checkout: SINGLEROOTS25|
|$12.49 to $29.99||High||Simple||Fair||Browse Zoosk for Free!|
|$16.99 to $32.99||High||Option-Overload||Good||Review your Christian Mingle matches for free!|
|$8.99 to $34.97||Medium||Option-Overload||Excellent||EXCLUSIVE 17-Day Free Trial! Use this link with this code at checkout: SINGLEROOTS17|